Damon and Elena (Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev), The Vampire Diaries
I really did have to think on this because a lot of my pairings have a LOT of baggage (I do watch soaps, after all, LOL!), but when it came down to it, yup, these two. It's not just outward baggage, it's not just crap that's happened since they've known each other, it's pre-known-each-other crap. Plus, there's also emotional, conflicted baggage.
There's a buttload of baggage, shall I list it all?
- He's a vampire; she's human.
- He's a vampire who likes being a vampire; likes killing people; likes drinking human blood.
- He slept with her mother (albeit before he knew Elena).
- That she didn't know was her mother because she didn't know that she was adopted.
- He killed and turned her mother into a vampire.
- His brother is her boyfriend.
- Who is also a vampire.
- But he's a "good" vampire.
- Katherine, the last girl he was in love with, was a vampire.
- She was a nasty, selfish bitch who was pretty much a nasty, selfish bitch even before she became a vampire. Now she's a nasty, selfish, evil bitch. Who is a vampire.
- Oh, did I mention that Katherine was sleeping with his brother while she was with Damon?
- His brother, who happens to be the only person that Katherine feels anything even remotely approximating love for, meaning that Damon was in love with a chick for 145 years that didn't feel squat for him leading to some SERIOUS self-esteem issues.
- Also, she looks just like Elena.
- He compelled/sexed-up/treated like utter dirt/used as a blood bag one of Elena's best friends.
- He almost killed another best friend. (She was saved only by vampire blood from his brother.)
- He pretty much cold-bloodedly killed a possible new friend (who happened to be his brother's best friend).
- Elena is the first person Damon decided to trust in over a century (literally). She lied to his face, went behind his back and betrayed him at his brother's behest.
- In response, he forced her to drink his blood, and threatened to turn her into a vampire, ie., he threatened to kill her.
- He kissed Katherine (the vampire bitch who looks just like Elena) thinking it was Elena, thus letting Elena know he'd totally betray his brother to get some face-time with his girl.
- She told him flat-out several times that she couldn't even understand why he would think for even a second that she, Elena, would EVER kiss him back. (SERIOUS self-esteem issues have now reached SUPER SERIOUS self-esteem issues levels).
- She flat-out told him she would always love his brother, thus never love him.
- He snapped her brother's neck. (Fortunately, said brother had a ring that brought him back to life.)
- Erm, let me repeat that: HE SNAPPED HER BROTHER'S NECK. Ahem.
- He almost killed one of her best friends who is now a vampire.
- She lied to him, and used his feelings for her to get information she needed, and then once she had it, told him that he'd lost her forever, so there! (Remember the whole snapping her brother's neck thing? Yeah, just cause on her part, I think.)
- Elena does have feelings for Damon, but she's deeply in denial about them.
- Damon is in love with Elena, told her so, but then compelled her to forget that he told her.
- Damon does love his brother, and therefore does want him to have happiness.
- Again, Damon IS in love with Elena, wants her to be happy and therefore has chosen to not fight for her, and get in the way of her happiness with his brother.
- Elena knows that the brothers' antagonistic relationship developed because her look-alike ancestor played games with their heads and hearts, so part of why she is in such deep denial about feeling anything for Damon is because she does not want to be like Katherine in any way. Especially in a way that would involve re-wrecking the brothers' relationship that has finally begun to repair itself.
So yeah, there is a LOT of baggage. I'm not even sure I listed it all.
Day 01 - What is your current favourite ship?
Day 02 - What was your very first ship?
Day 03 - A pairing that needs to happen now?
Day 04 - The pairing with the most chemistry?
Day 05 - The pairing with the least chemistry?
Day 06 - Best kiss?
Day 07 - The most heartbreaking scene?