The 4 changes I wish they hadn't made ...
1. When they cut it to top 50 they had 5 days of intensive dance classes in five areas of dance - lyrical/contemporary with Mia Michaels, ballroom with Mary, latin with Alex Da Silva, jazz with Brian Friedman and hip-hop with Dan Carety. After that week, they cut it to 24, then all the choreographers reviewed the tapes of all the 24 dancers remaining and then cut it to 16. What a brilliant idea to weed out those one-note dancers who can't do anything *but* their speciality, and I so very much wish they hadn't stopped doing that.
2. The finale had all four dancers on the stage, an unknown piece of music started and they all freestyled, randomly chosen order, and then ended with the music hitting climax while all four danced together, but differently. It was brilliant.
3. The winner got to dance a solo and THEN the confetti, hugs came out. Gave him the chance to shine.
4. Mary was just an occasional judge; sigh.
The 4 changes I'm glad they did make ...
1. Different host. Ugh, Lauren Sanchez looked and sounded so fake, but aside from that, Cat Deeley is the BESTEST!!!
2. They had them pick different dancers every routine. I can see the upside and downside of this, but I think I prefer the first half dancing same couples because it does allow the dancers to spend more focus on the different styles because they don't have to adjust to a new partner every week.
3. The finale was just kinda rambling.
4. The judges picked the bottom dancers/couples and then American voted on them, as opposed to the other way around. I'm glad they changed that mainly because with their favoritism so obvious now, dancers America doesn't like would never go home and the finale would rarely be America's top four favorite dancers, but rather the judges' top four favorite dancers.
All in all, a good season. It's only 12 episodes long (as they put the recorded results at the beginning of live shows, so no group numbers also) and worth a watch if you enjoy the show. I'm working on a post listing my favorite 10 dancers from all seasons and my favorite routines.