First a little description of the show and the two leads if you haven't heard of it/watched it. 11H is about a scientific advisor to the FBI, Dr. Jacob Hood (Rufus Sewell) who investigates cases that are unexplainable to the general law enforcement/regular FBI agents. What winds up being the case is that Hood solves them with his genius-level knowledge of all things science-y, but it usually comes off looking like the crack side of science. Agent Rachel Hood (Marley Shelton) is the latest in a long line of handlers for Hood. He needs handlers/protectors because he just says what he wants to, not rudely or without tact, but more because he's in his own head so much of the time that he just doesn't think to bother with the normal pleasantries. He's not mean, or a jerk, it's just that his brain is always working at 100mph and he wants to get things done. But because of that, there have been some assassination attempts on his life; Rachel is the latest because his way has made those before her quit.
Okay, moving. Now, how are the two shows alike:
1. The FBI is involved. And while technically the cases aren't unexplained phenomena the likes of which we saw on the XF, they are explained only by what generally amounts to Hood figuring out some crack-form of science.
2. Hood while the science-guy, figures things out by going into flights of crack-science theory in much the same way that Mulder did about unexplained phenomena, while Rachel/Scully stands/stood by and has/had the crack-theory explained to her in all of its cracky ways. (Although, admittedly in 11H, the crack is science.)
3. Hood is pretty much useless in a fight. (Sorry, Mulder). Like with Scully, Rachel is the one who comes in and kicks ass, brandishing her gun in such a way that she does NOT get her ass kicked and generally is an all-around bad ass.
4. Like Mulder, Hood has tragedy in his past (of a totally different nature, but still there). Mulder lost Samantha to aliens; Hood lost his wife to cancer.
5. The two leads have such ridiculously immense chemistry that practically every word and look said to each other comes across as flirting despite the fact that really, truly they are not.
6. The way Hood says her name when something bad is happening to her; oh, the softness that is contained in that single word. *Sigh*
7. Others in the bureau (including former FBI associates) look down on Rachel because of the work she is doing now.
8. Erm, Marley Shelton (like Gillian Anderson) has big, blue eyes!
9. Both leads are very charismatic together and on their own.
10. Finally, we're already seeing the two "choose" each other in small ways as how it built and began with Mulder and Scully having each other.
Look, I admit it's nowhere near as good as XF (not to say that it isn't a good show, it is), but I just see so much potential for the same kind of powerful type of relationship that Mulder and Scully had without the show (or even the relationship) being a rip-off. It doesn't come across that way, and I'm not insinuating that it is. The shows are different types of animals, it's just that there are enough similarities there that I can see the potential.
Does anyone agree? Or, uhm, even watch 11H on my flist?