Before the cut, I must say one thing -- not a spoiler ... PAULINAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! Man, she SO should not have gone out before the first six dancers that went after her. Grrr!!!!!!!!!!
And since I didn't say anything about it last night, I'm going to share my quick thoughts on their last two routines now. I liked the freestyle, but didn't love it as I'm not a hip-hop fan, but it was fun and energetic and that first lift they did was gorgeous. As for their Rumba, I may be a minority of about maybe ten (?), but I frickin' ADORED it! It actually became my favorite dance of theirs, taking the place of my last favorite ... their first Rumba. I honestly don't understand how anyone could watch it and not see the sensual, romantic, passionate, unbelievable beauty and skill in that routine. (And the tempo was NOT sped up, dangit! That's how "Midnight Train to Georgia" goes.) I adored it, adored it, adored it. Ahem. Now, onto tonight. Where Apolo and Julianne were crowned champions of Dancing with the Stars. And most importantly, Apolo got the shiny, mirror-ball trophy to join his bronze, silver and gold Olympic medals. And I was made very happy.
Random thoughts ...
- I know it was filler, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable filler.
- I cracked up at Apolo's "maaaan" when Julianne said that after they first began to dance she didn't think they would last long. Hee!!!
- I had no doubt that all three of them would have to fall on their asses and just really mess up to not get perfect scores from the judges. To no shocker, that's exactly what happened, a trio of perfect scores.
- I love, love, love Laila. I may have fallen out of love with her and Maks' dancing, but I never stopped loving her and tonight she was in full, wonderful form. "I'm pissed." "It doesn't matter who wins, because I didn't." Those could have come across horribly, but her attitude, her tone of voice, her pure Laila-ness just made me smile and clap. Love. Her.
- I still loved the idea of Joey's tango, but dancing after Apolo and before Laila -- whose footwork I liked better -- it really showed why I didn't want him to win. Also, during the whole Apolo vs. Joey thing, I really do wonder how the producers are so unaware of how there are many a people who DON'T like Joey, mainly for the reasons they listed as why everyone can't help but like him. I just heard that and thought, uhm, no. But with that said, I did mostly enjoy him and thought he was pretty cool tonight. And I loved that his daughter was wearing a G-rated version of Kym's outfit. Hee! And the Star Wars geek in me still loves the recreation of the famous SW Luke/Leia poster pose at the end of their dance.
- Loved, loved, loved that the highlight of the Apolo vs. Joey thing distinctly for Apolo was "chemistry." As much as I adore Apolo, it really was his chemistry with Julianne that propelled them to the win (AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!) I think the showmanship and popularity of Joey would have sailed past Apolo, despite his charm and skill, had he and Julianne not been so perfect together. And I loved, loved Len's comment that if there was ever a couple made in heaven, it was these two. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
- Tom TOTALLY adores Julianne/Apolo and liked them more than the other couples. I always noticed that he defended them against Len, and always commented how great they were. And tonight after they danced for the last time (sniff, sniff, please, please, please let them come back for a surprise performance next year, please!!!), he told them he would miss watching them ... and they were the only couple he said that too.
- I have to admit, I cracked up at Billy Ray promoting his CD. It was clearly so deliberate as something he was called on all the time, Tom's reaction was hysterical. I loved it.
- About the reveal. I actually felt a little bad for Joey because I do know how much he wanted it, and right after Tom said Apolo's name when doing the rundown of the two, people shouted out Apolo's name. And then during the dun dun dun wait for the announcement of the winner, again, Apolo's name was shouted and no one shouted Joey's and I did feel bad for him. But he was very charming and a very good sport about the loss, so good for you, Joey.
And then Apolo and Julianne won. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
- For the first time, I was actually a little frustrated by all the A&J rumors because with her boyfriend (no longer fiance) in the audience, it kinda seemed like they were holding back a little because if they had kissed (even on the cheek), it might have sparked more rumors. I thought it was just me who thought they were a bit reserved, but I've read that comment elsewhere from others too.
- I loved, loved, loved how Julianne told Apolo "Happy Birthday!" after he had the trophy in his hands. His bday party was last week, but his actual birthday was today, so that was cool. I also loved her "you hold it," after he left her holding the trophy. Hee!
Bottom-line, me = extremely happy. This is the very first time that someone I've been dang-near obsessed with on a reality show has won. I've gotten my faves in the #2 spot about a zillion times, but this is the first time that the one that I truly, totally, voted for, talked plenty lots about, watched their stuff over and over again, etc. won. So me = happy! :D :D :D :D :D